Premature ejaculation doctor

Premature Ejaculation Doctors And Therapists

If you’re considering seeing a doctor to help you cope with premature ejaculation, than here’s what you need to know…

When to seek professional help? Who should you see? What’s the appointment like? How exactly will they help you?  Those are some of the questions I’ll try to answer.

So, here we go…

First, here’s the list of medical, sexual health, and relationship professionals that are qualified to help help men with premature ejaculation:

  • Primary care physician (general practitioner)
  • Urologist
  • Psychiatrist
  • Clinical psychologist
  • Sex therapist
  • Hypnotherapist
  • Martial counselor
  • Couples therapist

Now, let’s dig deeper…

When to seek professional help?

In most cases, premature ejaculation can be cured with  do-it-yourself techniques.  Professional help is rarely necessary.

That being said, of course, in some cases,  professional help is the only way to go.

These are  situations in which you should consider seeking professional help…

  • If premature ejaculation is too complicated for you to handle it yourself. If you’re not able to resolve sexual problems on your own, with self-help techniques, consider talking with your doctor.If you suspect that the cause of your premature ejaculation may involve other medical conditions that need to be dealt with at a professional level. E.g. impotence, infection of prostate gland (prostatitis), damaged nervous system and muscles in genital area.
  • If you’re experiencing deeper psychological problems, that may be underlying factor to your premature ejaculation case, seeing a psychiatrist may be necessary. Severe emotional disturbance, old scars from the childhood, and other internal conflicts may cause PE. It is important to note here that, neurotic conflicts may happen on unconscious level.
  • If you have some serious relationship issues, that you and your partner are not able to resolve by yourself, seeing martial counselor and couples therapies may be a good idea. This is typical for secondary premature ejaculation, if you didn’t have PE before your current relationship, and you suspect that relationship issues affect your sex life.
  • If you use prescription medications or recreational drugs and suspect that they may affect your sexual functioning.
  • If you plan to use prescription or over-the-counter medications, and want to make sure that they’re safe for you to use. Especially if you have some health issues, history of allergy to certain chemicals, or you already use some other medications.

These are some of the scenarios in which seeking professional help is a good idea.

Which professional should you see?

Generally speaking, the first choice should be your primary care physician, or an urologist. There are many good primary care physicians and urologists who are experienced in treating premature ejaculation.

Another reason to visit them first, is to rule out the possibility that the cause of your premature ejaculation is other medical condition (i.e prostatitis).

However, not all primary care physicians and urologists are experienced and comfortable with treating premature ejaculation. Or, some of them may be comfortable implementing only medication therapy but not behavioral therapy and counseling.

As with any other medical condition, you should be offered all treatment options.

Nevertheless, visiting your primary care physician or urologist is a safe bet. They’ll recognize if the cause of your premature ejaculation is some other medical condition, or rule out this possibility. Most of them will be able to help you directly, and if not that’ll direct you to more specialized professionals that can help you.

Such professionals may be sex therapist, clinical psychologist, psychiatrist or martial counselor. They may be able to help you beat premature ejaculation, and together with your partner achieve a fulfilling sexual and emotional relationship.

That being said, it doesn’t mean that you can’t see other professionals (e.g. sex therapist or psychologist) right away. Just, know that experienced sex therapist may send you back to your primary care physician, or urologist for physical examination to rule out the possibility that some other medical condition may be causing premature ejaculation.

What will your appointment be like?

Medical or sexual health professional will diagnose premature ejaculation based on a detailed interview about your health and sexual history.

Additionally, if you visit medical doctor, he or she may conduct a through physical examination, and possibly order some laboratory tests.

Your doctor may want to include your partner in the interview.

He or she will ask you a number of very personal questions. Some questions are difficult to ask and answer, but if they go unasked, important information may be missed.

A more considerate doctor will get your permission before asking difficult questions, as well as giving you the permission not to answer them all. Some doctors go even further. They will reserve some questions for one-on-one interview with you, because they understand that it may be very uncomfortable for you to answer in front of your partner.

While it may be uncomfortable for both of you to talk frankly about sex, the details you provide will help your doctor determine the cause of your problem and the best course of treatment.

The interview may include the following subjects…

  • Your general medical history
  • Your religious upbringing
  • Your early sexual experiences
  • Your past and present sexual relationships
  • Any issues within your current relationship

Your general medical history will be taken to screen for other medical conditions that may be relevant. For example, if you have hearth problems (angina), and this causes fear of heart attack during sex, solving your heat problems will usually solve the premature ejaculation, with no specific treatment for the premature ejaculation..

Similar scenario may happen, if your premature ejaculation occurs together with impotence (erectile dysfunction, ED). If you have both premature ejaculation and trouble getting or maintaining an erection, your doctor may order blood tests to check your male hormone (testosterone) levels or other tests.

Next, your doctor may focus his attention on determining whether you have primary (lifelong), or secondary (acquired) premature ejaculation. If you’ve always experienced premature ejaculation, from the time you began to have sex, you have primary PE. If you had satisfying ejaculatory control in the past, and began experiencing premature ejaculation later on, you have secondary PE.

Here are some real-life examples of personal question your doctor may ask you…

  1. Did you have any traumatic sexual experiences as a child or teenager? For example, you were discovered by a parent while masturbating, than felt guilty, or have been punished, or threatened with punishment for masturbation.
  2. While growing up, how did you relate to your mother, father, brother(s), sister(s)?
  3. Does your family have a history of incest or sexual assault?
  4. While growing up, did you have other male friends, any female friends?
  5. How do you regard yourself with respect to your peers (e.g. inferior, superior, frail, more intelligent, less intelligent)?
  6. Do you have any difficulties with work (or school, if still a student)?
  7. What is your general attitude toward sex? Do you regard it as dirty or sinful?
  8. What are your sexual preferences, fantasies, and arousal pattern?
  9. Did you have strict religious upbringing? If so, what was the teaching about sex?
  10. If you had sex before marriage, do you feel guilty about it?
  11. What are your partner’s attitudes toward sex?
  12. Does your partner experience some sexual problems? For example, painful intercourse.
  13. What is the nonsexual part of your relationship like? Do you fight, or are you going through a power struggle?
  14. Why your partner is not present? Is she unsupportive or is blaming you?
  15. In your current relationship, was premature ejaculation always a problem or did it start later on?
  16. Do you get along (in your relationship) on most issues, or there are some conflicts?
  17. Who is dominant in your relationship? Or, is your relationship generally equal?
  18. Do you have trouble getting and maintaining an erection? If you do, did your premature ejaculation problem started before, or after your erection problems?
  19. How long does it generally take you to reach an orgasm?
  20. Can you have an intercourse or you ejaculate before entering the vagina?
  21. Do you experience premature ejaculation just with intercourse, or also with masturbation and non-intercourse stimulation by your partner?
  22. How much time does your partner need to reach an orgasm?
  23. Can she reach climax with intercourse, or does she need direct clitorial stimulation (oral or manual) to be able to climax?
  24. Do you have any homosexual thoughts, fantasies, or tendencies?
  25. Is your relationship monogamous?
  26. Do you suffer from any substance abuse?
  27. Do you use any prescription medications, or recreational drugs?
  28. Do you have a history of physical, psychological, or sexual abuse?
  29. Is there anxiety or pain associated with your sexual activity?
  30. Are you taking any herbal products?
  31. Are there fertility issues involved?
  32. How often do you experience premature ejaculation?
  33. How often do you have sex?
  34. Do you have premature ejaculation only with a specific partner or with all partners?
  35. How do you feel PE affects your enjoyment of sex and your quality of life?

Your doctor will need you to answer honestly and completely reveal all such information. So, be prepared before you go in to see him/her.

In fact, don’t just be mentally and emotionally ready to ‘get it done’. Instead, look deeply into your medical history, your sexual history and experiences, your past and current relationships, your thoughts and feelings about sex.

We have all been asked by a doctor in less trying situations if there was anything wrong and replied that all was fine or gave a small list of problems, only to think of several more once we had left the office.

For a doctor or other sexual health professional to assist you, you will have to have as much information available as possible for them to assess and work with.

Now, if you live in a small town, where everybody knows everybody, and you feel uncomfortable talking to your doctor about coming too soon, don’t let that stop you.

Go to nearest big city. It may be easier for you to talk with a doctor you don’t know.

If you would like to find additional information about diagnosing premature ejaculation, you can visit It’s Pfizer’s (pharmaceutical company) online diagnostic tool for doctors and patients.

How exactly sexual health professionals will help you?

Well, this will depend on which medical or sexual health professional you visit, as well as their expertise and experience in treating premature ejaculation.

For example, if you visit your primary care physician, he or she, will probably prescribe you an SSRI or other antidepressants, such as Paxil, Prozac, or Zoloft.

If your primary care physician is experienced and comfortable with treating premature ejaculation, he may also recommend you start-stop, or squeeze exercise, and maybe even offer some counseling to help you improve your relationship.

Alternatively, if your primary care doctor has no experience in treating premature ejaculation, he will direct you to some other professional that can help you.

The same goes for an urologist.

Sexual therapist on the on the other hand, is usually not a medical doctor, so he can’t prescribe you any medications. He will offer practical exercises and advices to help you cope with PE, as well as counseling for you and your partner. For example, start-stop and squeeze exercises, masturbating 1 or 2 hours before having sex, etc.

Psychologist will offer pretty much the same treatments as the sexual therapist.

You can expect to pay anywhere between $75 and $150 per session with sexual therapist or psychologist. The price can be outside this range, and it depends on experience and reputation of particular therapist. This is just to give you an idea.

To get more information you can check out the following organizations…

Society for Sex Therapy and Research
409 12th Street, S.W., P.O. Box 96920
Washington, D.C. 20090-6920

American Association of Sex Educators, Counselors and Therapists
P.O. Box 5488
Richmond, VA 23220-0488

Sexual Medicine Society of North America, Inc.
1111 North Plaza Drive, Suite 550
Schaumburg, IL 60173
Phone: 847-517-7225
Fax: 847-517-7229

American Society for Reproductive Medicine
1209 Montgomery Highway
Birmingham, AL 35216-2809
Phone: (205) 978-5000
Fax: (205) 978-5005

American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
112 South Alfred Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-3061
Phone: 703-838-9808
Fax: 703-838-9805

If you’re in UK…

Check out Relate,  they’re very experienced in the Masters-Johnson method (the squeeze technique). Payment is on a sliding scale, and very fair.

Relate Central Office
Herbert Gray College
Little Church Street, RUGBY
CV21 3AP
Tel: 0845 456 1310 or 01788 573241
Fax: 01788 535007

Relate Scotland do similar good work to Relate, but in Scotland.

British Association for Sexual and Relationship Therapy (BASRT) – Most of these sex therapists work privately. They are not usually medical doctors, but are highly trained therapists. You do not need your primary care doctor’s referral to see a BASRT member.

British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy – this is the organization of licensed CBT practitioners, but only a few of them will be experts in sexual problems such as premature ejaculation.

Sexual Dysfunction Association (SDA) can help with all sorts of sexual problems, including premature ejaculation.

Read this:


yes i need help in ejeculation
having big problems please if you could reply
my E Mail Address s**********
mob 0**********5

waiting for your reply

by shakeel jahfery on March 6, 2018 at 9:50 pm. Reply #

I edited out your contact details so you don’t get a ton of spam. Have a look around, read a few articles on this website. Most are about specific solutions for dealing with PE and what kind of results you can expect from each. There are a lot of things you can do.

by Frank DeLuca on March 7, 2018 at 12:13 pm. Reply #

I m having PE? Should I visit general doctor or a urologist?

by Muthu on March 14, 2018 at 7:36 am. Reply #

I don’t know where you’re from, in most places you have to a GP first and then he’ll send you to the urologists. If you can go straight to the urologist, go ahead.

by Frank DeLuca on March 14, 2018 at 10:54 am. Reply #

Leave your comment